Monday, April 16, 2012

Where to start? How about this?

1) Photo on the left: Before: July 2011 on Lake Michigan. Approx. 240 pounds. Picked up another 15 by Thanksgiving. Chronic back, knee, and heart problems since 2000. Last fall, I couldn't do anything remotely strenuous without intense chest pain. "Get better or make arrangements." my cardiologist said. I decided I was going to get better or die trying. I've relearned a lot about what it means to make a decision. (More about that another time)

2) Photo on the right: I won't call it After. How about On the Way: April 1, 2012, Missouri River near St. Louis. Approx. 185 pounds. After 4 months of literally working (and juicing) my butt (and belly) off. On this day, I did a 63 mile bike ride with my son, Ben, around St. Charles county and over the Missouri into St. Louis. My heart seems to be doing fine. Heart cath showed everything totally clear. Blood pressure, heart rate, cholesterol levels all good.

About a month ago, I was feeling so grateful for my new lease on life (you have to understand how unhealthy I've been the last 12 years) that when I came across the Bike the US for MS website, I felt immediately that this is something I had to do. Since then, I've been raising funds and training.

No comments:

Post a Comment